50. Smile Like You Mean It – The Killers (2004; Hot Fuss; United States)
Good advice for getting ahead in life.
49. When The Sun Goes Down – Arctic Monkeys (2006; Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m; United Kingdom)
The Roxanne of the Naughties, with a Silence Of The Lambs twist.
48. Don’t Fight It – The Panics (2007; Cruel Guards; Australia)
First heard this live at the Laneway Festival.
47. Hey There Delilah – Plain White Ts (2006; Every Second Counts; United States)
These guys were the house band in Greek.
46. The Scientist – Coldplay (2003; A Rush Of Blood To The Head; United Kingdom)
This song would have been a much bigger hit if the title was more obvious from the lyrics.
45. You Are My Sister – Antony And The Johnsons (2005; I Am A Bird Now; United Kingdom)
44. Famous Last Words – My Chemical Romance (2006; The Black Parade; United States)
I am very impartial to songs that begin with lyrics before music.
43. The Space Between – Dave Matthews Band (2001; Everyday; South Africa/United States)
I cringe at my own like of DMB, as they’re just too trendy.
42. Pattern Against User – At The Drive-In (2001; Relationship Of Command; United States/Puerto Rico/Lebanon)
It’s hard to work out what an At The Drive-In song is about.
41. I Don’t Love You – My Chemical Romance (2006; The Black Parade; United States)
For a video that incorporates blackface, this clip wasn’t particularly controversial.
40. Waiting For The Sirens’ Call – New Order (2005; Waiting For The Sirens’ Call; United Kingdom)
It’s important to remember when singing along that you are waiting for multiple sirens to call.
39. Rock It – Little Red (2010; Midnight Remember; Australia)
38. Loslappie (Ek Wil Huistoe Gaan) – Kurt Darren (2003; Se Net Ja; South Africa)
37. Almost Here – Brian McFadden & Delta Goodrem (2005; Irish Son & Mistaken Identity; Ireland/Australia)
This song is often compared to the Jason and Kylie duet Especially For You.
36. Fans – Kings Of Leon (2007; Because Of The Times; United States)
I first heard this track at a friend’s 21st birthday party. And it was good.
35. Bling (Confessions Of A King) – The Killers (2006; Sam’s Town; United States)
There is absolutely no link between the terrible title and fantastic song.
34. This Year – The Mountain Goats (2005; The Sunset Tree; United States)
Some people accuse the Goats of not actually singing. I accuse them of being too good.
33. Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol (2006; Eyes Open; United Kingdom)
The best wall of sound song of the 2000s.
32. Satellite Skin – Modest Mouse (2009; No One’s First And You’re Next; United States)
I can’t wait to derisively wish someone happy congratulations.
31. Numb – Linkin Park (2003; Meteora; United States)
I have a friend who looks exactly like the girl in this video.
30. Dashboard – Modest Mouse (2007; We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank; United States)
Johnny Marr from the Smiths plays on this track.
29. No Children – The Mountain Goats (2002; Tallahassee; United States)
The ultimate break-up song?
28. The Heinrich Maneuver – Interpol (2007; Our Love To Admire; United States)
I used to have several friends living on the west coast.
27. Dance The Way I Feel – Ou Est Le Swimming Pool (2009; The Golden Year; United Kingdom)
It depresses me that I’ve seen Hilltop Hoods live so many times but will never get to see this band.
26. Bloodbuzz Ohio – The National (2010; High Violet; United States)
A sad song for a rainy day.