Like A Version is a Triple J concept whereby an artist of varying degrees of renown performs two tracks, an original and a cover. It currently takes place during the breakfast program on Friday mornings, either side of the 8am news.
Since the first Like A Version in the mid-2000s, LAVs have been eligible for the Hottest 100. Only three covers in the first six years of the concept cracked the countdown, but the launch of streaming services, more comprehensive voting lists, greater promotion of LAV voting and a general overhyping of the covers (for example, lotsa music blogs will write up a story about Like A Version every single Friday morning) has seen a steady increase in LAVs making the Hottest 100.
Download Like A Versions in H100 for all the info in one place.
2005 (#1 Wish You Well — Bernard Fanning)
#18 I Was Only 19 — The Herd (Redgum)
2006 (#1 One Crowded Hour — Augie March)
#70 Such Great Heights — Ben Folds (Postal Service)
2007 (#1 Knights of Cydonia — Muse)
#29 Real Love — Regina Spektor (John Lennon)
2011 (#1 Somebody That I Used To Know — Gotye & Kimbra)
#28 Pumped Up Kicks — Owl Eyes (Foster The People, #32 in 2010)
2012 (#1 Thrift Shop — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis & Wanz)
#49 Brother — Thundamentals (Matt Corby, #3 in 2011)
#69 Lonely Boy — Matt Corby (Black Keys, #2 in 2011)
2013 (#1 Riptide — Vance Joy)
#39 Get Lucky — San Cisco (Daft Punk & Pharrell Williams, #3 in 2013)
#66 Ausmusic Month Medley — Illy (multiple artists)
#68 Sweet Nothing — Something For Kate (Calvin Harris & Florence Welch, #11 in 2012)
2014 (#1 Talk Is Cheap — Chet Faker)
#21 (Lover) You Don’t Treat Me No Good — Chet Faker (Sonia Dada)
#54 Do I Wanna Know? — CHVRCHES (Arctic Monkeys, #4 in 2013)
#91 Bridges — Meg Mac (Broods)
2015 (#1 Hoops — The Rubens)
#81 Big Jet Plane — Tuka & Thelma Plum (Angus & Julia Stone, #1 in 2010)
#84 Delete — Sticky Fingers (DMAs, #48 in 2014)
2016 (#1 Never Be Like You — Flume & Kai)
#6 Believe — DMAs (Cher)
#45 Dumb Things — AB Original, Paul Kelly & Dan Sultan (Paul Kelly)
#52 Love Yourself — Halsey (Justin Bieber)
#56 Keeping Score — Paces & Guy Sebastian (LDRU & Paige IV, #22 in 2015)
2017 (#1 Humble — Kendrick Lamar)
#41 Blood — Gang Of Youths (Middle East, #64 in 2009)
#78 Electric Feel — Tash Sultana (MGMT, #2 in 2008)
#88 Edge Of Town — Paul Dempsey (Middle Kids)
2018 (#1 Confidence — Ocean Alley)
#16 Baby Come Back — Ocean Alley (Player)
#72 What Can I Do If The Fire Goes Out — Nothing But Thieves (Gang Of Youths, #10 in 2017)
2019 (#1 bad guy — Billie Eilish)
#5 Bulls On Parade — Denzel Curry (Rage Against The Machine, #46 in 1996)
#17 I Touch Myself — Lime Cordiale (Divinyls)
#83 Welcome To The Black Parade — Alex Lahey (My Chemical Romance, #13 in 2006)
#90 Here Comes Your Man — Skegss (Pixies)
2020 (#1 Heat Waves — Glass Animals)
#78 Lady Marmalade — G Flip (Labelle & Various Artists)
#91 Charlie — Bugs (Mallrat, #3 in 2019)
Funky Facts and Nice Notes
- 2016 and 2019 had the most Like A Versions with four each.
- 2019 had the highest ever LAV at #5.
- No artist has twice charted LAVs into the Hottest 100, though Tuka and Paul Dempsey have appeared as solo artists and as members of, respectively, Thundamentals and Something For Kate.
- No original artist has had two different songs covered for Like A Version make the countdown.
- Matt Corby, DMAs and Gang of Youths are the only acts to chart a Like A Version and be covered for a placing entry.
- 23 of the 29 entries are by Australian artists, four are from the United States and two are from the United Kingdom.
- There is a much greater nationality spread for the song being covered. Twelve (12) original artists are Australian, 11 are from the United States, three from the United Kingdom, one each from Canada and New Zealand, and one transatlantic collab between France and the United States.
- Paul Kelly is the only original artist credited with a charting Like A Version cover of their own song, though I vaguely remember Redgum, or members of Redgum, helping out The Herd on I Was Only 19.
- Get Lucky is the only Like A Version cover to appear in the same chart as the original.
- Chet Faker and Ocean Alley are the only Hottest 100 winners to score a Like A Version into the countdown, and both did so the year they won the Hottest 100.
- Big Jet Plane by Angus & Julia Stone (LAVed by Tuka) is the only Hottest 100 winning song/artist to be covered into a charting Like A Version.
- Of the 15 LAV covers of originals that also placed in the Hottest 100 only Owl Eyes (+4), Gang Of Youths (+23) and Denzel Curry (+41) improved on their inspiration’s position.
- Paces, Guy Sebastian and Bugs are the only artists to boast a Like A Version cover as their sole Hottest 100 hit (Paces and Guy on the same Like A Version).
- In the years when Gang of Youths and Chet Faker charted their Like A Versions, they both had three songs in the Top 10.
- The median position for a Like A Version in the Hottest 100 is #55.
- The first 27 Like A Versions appeared at different numbers in the countdown…then Charlie by Bugs ruined everything!
This is correct as of the Hottest 100 of 2020. If you have a correction or know of a titbit you think belongs here, please get in touch!